Last updated on
QR code or Quick Response code is a well-known type of Matrix barcode found in both one or two-dimensional forms that were first coined by the Japanese Motor industry. This is a machine-readable optical label that has information coded within it about an item or link to a website.
To store data, QR codes use four standardized encoding modes which are numeric, alphanumeric, byte/binary, and kanji or in some cases, extensions can also be used.
Now, QR codes can be found almost anywhere and for almost anything ranging from product information, gateway to redeem points and so much more. Moreover, with the popularity of cryptocurrencies, a lot of crypto wallets rely on QR codes to save lengthy private and public keys securely.
In order to read QR codes on your Android phone or tablet, you will need an app (the camera on iPhones usually reads QR codes by default). Our list below shares 5 of the Best QR Code Scanning Apps for Android you can download from the Play Store in 2020.
#1. QR & Barcode Scanner
One of the most stand-out QR code reader apps for those that have an unquenchable thirst for shopping. This nifty app gives users the ability to easily scan almost any barcodes they might come across in almost every major retail store across the globe.
QR & Barcode Scanner can scan and read all QR / barcode types including text, URL, ISBN, contact, product, calendar, email, location, Wi-Fi and many other formats. When scanning and automatic decoding is complete, users are provided with only the relevant options for individual QR or Barcode type and can take appropriate action.
You can even use QR & Barcode Scanner to scan coupons/coupon codes to receive discounts and save both time and money.
#2. QR Code Reader
This app is built for those that love simplicity when it comes to reading QR codes for them but also packs some really nice features that include the ability to support almost all major barcode formats including ISBN, EAN, UPC.
Designed with a simplistic layout, the app offers all the bells and whistles and yet is easily accessible for the average user.
“QR Code Reader was designed with the average user in mind. We made it extremely user-friendly and easy to use. All you need to do is point your device to QR or barcode you want to scan and QR Code Reader will automatically scan and read it.”
On top of being able to read ISBN, EAN, UPC, QR Code Reader can also read types of barcode including ext, url, contact, calendar, email, location, Wi-Fi.
#3. Avira QR Scanner
With the internet, anything that requires information being transferred between devices that store personal data could render that device open to attacks from malicious hackers.
Avira QR Scanner helps take the risk out of using barcodes. This app scans every link within a quick response code and immediately blocks any suspicious links. This not only protects you and valuable data from infected and phishing links but allows for a smoother and easy use of QR Codes.
Some of the interesting features that the app comes equipped with include:
• QR code scanner – fast and efficient.
• Includes our proprietary Avira URL cloud technology, which scans URL’s in real time
• Blocks malicious websites before they load
• Know before you go: Shows you the full URL that is linked to from the QR code
• Quickly and easily share websites via email, Facebook. or Twitter
#4. QR Droid Private™
Want more security when using your device to decode QR Codes? QR Droid Private™ has everything you need. This app requires fewer permissions than most apps when accessing your phone’s camera to decode barcodes. The app later uses more permissions to allow you to create codes using information from your device without typing anything.
That’s right, not only does this app allows users to read barcodes but comes with the additional package of allowing users to generate their own version of codes hassle free.
Some of the features that this app comes with includes:
– Create a code from a contact or bookmark and let a friend scan it to their device – no typing needed!
– Map where you are and where you’re going to, share it with friends, colleagues and family.
– Scan a QR Code in a magazine and watch a video immediately.
– Scan QR Codes from your camera, browser, SD card, or saved image.
– Create and share QR Codes in less than a second from maps, contacts, bookmarks, installed apps & more
#5. QR Scanner: Free Code Reader
Not swayed by the security-centric QR Code scanners that we have mentioned already? Try the
QR Scanner: Free Code Reader, a free Kaspersky QR Scanner that protects you from rogue QR codes containing dangerous links that can lead you somewhere you don’t want to go and expose you to malware and phishing traps.
Its features include:
• Instantly check the safety of texts, images and websites linked to the QR code you are scanning.
• Get scam protection: Get instant warnings when a QR Code contains a dangerous link or directs you to a malicious website.
• Avoid stranger danger: Scan QR Codes on business cards to quickly and safely save contact information to your phone.• Keep a history at your fingertips
• Keep a history at your fingertips: Once you scan a QR code, the information is stored on your device so you can easily access past links, images and websites.
• Access Wi-Fi quickly: Scan QR codes to set up credentials and be connected in a few seconds.
We hope you can find a QR app that best suits your needs from our list above. In case you have any suggestions or recommendations of your own, please feel free to share your favorite QR code reader apps for Android via the comments below.