With technology moving ahead, it is getting rather difficult to get the privacy you deserve. Sometimes, it’s really hard to control the people that call or text you, especially if is is someone you want to avoid, be it a stalker, a stranger or a persistently annoying salesperson.
Fortunately, with your android device, you can control who can or cannot contact you. This can be done by simply adding the unwanted caller to a blacklist on your phone which prevents them from being able to reach you via calls or texts.
While there are different ways to do this without using any app, some of all of them may not work on your Android phone. We have however listed below all known methods of blocking a number on Android, including steps for doing it on Android Lollipop.
Using the Contacts app to block a number
- Before using the contacts app on your android device, you have to make sure that the number is already saved on your device. Then open the contacts app and search for the contact that you want on the block list.
- After finding that particular contact, tap on the three dots (menu bar) at the top of your screen.
- It will bring you different options on what to do with the contact. Tap on the option that says “Add to Auto reject list”.
- The contact is automatically blocked after this process.
Using Call Settings to block a number
Using call settings does two things, it blocks calls from all “Unknown” numbers and allows you to add numbers to the block list.
- Go to settings and tap on “Call” settings.
- Under call settings, a lot of different options will appear on your screen, tap on call rejection.
- After tapping on call rejection, it opens a new page of options. Tap on “Auto reject list”.
- There is only one option under “Auto Reject List” which is “unknown”. Tap on unknown to block all “Unknown” numbers from contacting you.
- Also, there is an additional sign (+) on the top right corner of your screen. Tap on it to add the numbers you want to block from your contact list to your reject list. The number does not necessarily have to be in your contact list. You can manually enter a number and it automatically adds it on the block list.
Using the Call Log to block a number
If the number you wish to block is on your call log, then;
- Tap on the icon on your android device that says “Phone”.
- Click on the three dots at the top right corner of your android device and tap on “select”.
- Select the contact you wish to block by tapping on it.
- Then click on the three dots at the top right corner of your device and tap on “Add to Auto reject list”.
- Then the contact will be automatically blocked.
Using the Call Log to block a number on Android Lollipop
On Android Lollipop you can simply go to your call log and;
- Long press any entry to get several options and choose “Add to blacklist”.
- After this you will see a confirmation message, “tap on OK” to proceed.
- The number will be added to your blacklist and you will not receive calls or messages from it.
- You can also tap the menu button while the call log is open and choose the “More features and settings” option.
- On the next screen you will see a “Call/Messages blocking” option that you can either switch on or off.
- Tapping on the option will take you to another screen where you can manage your black and whitelists easily.
These methods should have you covered if you want to stop someone from contacting you via calls or texts. If you still can’t block a number on your Android phone you can comment below and let us know. If there are any apps or other methods you use, you can also share them with us.